Re: [CQ-Contest] Tossing meaningless categories [was: Log checkingquesti

To: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Tossing meaningless categories [was: Log checkingquestions]
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:29:15 -0800
At 03:17 AM 12/16/2005, Radiosporting Fan wrote:

>There are similar (to spotting) issues raised whenever
>we create artificial categories.  For instance, "Why
>is 99-watts to a 4/4/4/4 considered Low Power, while
>101-watts to a dipole is High Power?"

Because the category is POWER, not Effective Radiated Power, but you
point is well taken. I think it's long overdue to rethink contest
categories overall.

I've said this before but I'll say it again: I would like to see two
basic categories in contesting.

1. A strictly limited hardware setup, much like the WRTC contest for
those who prefer to focus on the traditional style of contesting. One
radio, no packet or telnet, one antenna per band, etc.

2. An unlimited hardware category where anything is allowed.

Within those there could be subdivisions for HP/LP/QRP and multi op.

It is not possible to satisfy everyone but I think this would go a long way.

Comments?

73, Bill W6WRT