Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:39:24 -0600
W2UP:

>> if all single ops were permitted to use DX spotting assistance,
>> how would that hurt you? [snip] year after year, most top ten SO
>> scores are higher than SOA scores.  If the SOs score higher,
>> how would "packet" use harm your effort?

KM3T:

> It isn't *always* the case that SOs score higher.  It just frequently
> works out that way.  The reasons are many, varied, and not relevant to
> this discussion.

Thanks Dave.  What you say is right on the mark.

W2UP:

>> You call it a crutch.  That implies an impairment.

I don't think it's much of a question any more that a significant number of
guys pointing, shooting, then logging, are not capable of working many
stations that have been spotted on their own.  That is why I called using
3rd party DX spots a "crutch."

The problem is with the handful of crafty guys for whom using 3rd party DX
spots *can* become a significant advantage.  It's true that 99% of assited
entrants don't score as high as the top unassisted entrants, but every once
in a while one sneaks through.  Plus, are we limiting the discussion to only
the top unassisted entrants?  I'd hate to operate unassisted into 10th place
overall and get knocked out of the box by an assisted guy, and I know there
are plenty of unassisted contesters who would hate to lose their sections or
divisions to someone who is assisted.  This would happen all over the place
if 3rd party DX spots were not properly identified as a significant
potential advantage.

W2UP:

>> There's no way the DX spotting network could or should be
>> disabled for a contest.

I agree.

Mark, N5OT