Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>, "Barry" <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:32:57 -0800
To: Michael Tope ; Barry
Cc: cq-contest@contesting.com
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 10:10 AM

Thank you very much for your opinion Mike. You have hi-lited the problem very
well. The rule of the land today is anyone can break/bend any rule as long as a
justification can be dreamed up. You are clearly saying if you are not
officially in the contest you don't need to follow the rules of the contest.
Amazing convoluted logic...
Here is rule 3 for Stew Perry:
""3. Categories: Single operator or multi-operator.  Remote or packet
   spotting shall not be used.  All transmitting and receiving antennas
   used must be within 100 km of each other.""

It clearly says no packet spotting, It doesn't say it's OK to spot if you are
not actually in the contest. At some point the contest rules must mean
something. For those who were not aware of the rules several times
announcements were made on the cluster system. Here's just one :
""17 Dec w1to (1833Z) : Stew Perry rules don't allow packet""

Maybe 1 or 2 of the guys didn't know the rules of the contest but guys like
K1TTT, who was probably the worst offender, is very well aware. K1TTT has made
it very clear, on this mailing list, he will not, and does not, support any
effort to stop/curtail spots in any contest, obviously including contests that
specifically don't even allow spotting.

There is obviously no solution to this as long as guys make lame, yes lame,
excuses and other guys blatantly, with malice, thumb their noses at the rules.
73

MAL              N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ

Sorry, Mal, but the word "Categories" that prefaces the no packet
spotting rule implies people who are entering the contest. How can
you be a cheater if you don't enter the contest? Please explain that
one to me? If non-entrants use packet how does that effect the integrity
of the contest? I think your logic is the convoluted logic, Mal. Even the
FCC doesn't have the authority to tell people not to use telnet (well at
least in the context of part 97). Shutting down the packet networks
won''t magically create people with integrity. I have entered 6 contests
this fall season. Four of those have been as a single operator. When I
was single-op, solving the packet problem was easy. I just turned it
off (and left it off) before I started operating. What is so hard about
that? The subtext of your of your rail on packet in contests is that
anyone who disagrees with you is a low-life cheater.

And, by the way, you are right. I am clearly saying that if you are not
officially in a contest, then you don't need to follow the rules of the
contest. Why would you? If I am not sending in a log for a contest
with mandatory off-time, why would I need to take off time. I am not
competing with anyone. I am just a ham radio operator making QSOs.
If the contest rules state that I must run 100 watts (NAQP) to "enter"
the contest, then why would I need to run 100 watts if I am just handing
out QSOs. Read the rules. It doesn't say that you can only work
people who are running 100 watts, it says that as a competitor you
have to run no more than 100 watts to comply with the rules of the
contest. When I "enter" the contest, I submit a score and by doing so,
I implicity (and sometimes explicity) certify that I have followed ALL the
rules of the contest that are applicable to my the category. If that is
not true, then I am a CHEATER and I should be subject to
disqualification. It is very simple.

I think it is fine that the Stew Perry sponsors have disallowed packet in
the rules for both single-operator and multi-operator. Interpretation -
if you want to enter the contest, don't use spotting. If you are Joe DXer
and you see that ZL3IX has been spotted on 1825 KHz and you need
him for a new DXCC country on 160. Go work him. You get a new DXCC
country and he gets a couple of points. Just don't submit a log for the
Stew Perry, because by using packet you have just disqualified yourself
from entering the competition.

Flame suite ready, Mal.