Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:42:31 -0600 (CST)
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Ed K1EP wrote:

> If I am in a contest that requires serial numbers (or grids, or first
> names) and if I work someone, casual or not, I have to put something in
> the log.   I can't just make something up.

Why not?

Now, IF the exchange you sent affects the other person's scoring (e.g.
giving the wrong state in SS or the wrong grid in VHF contests) I consider
that to be unethical.  But if what you're sending (e.g. serial number or
name) has no bearing on the other guy's score, it seems irrelevant to me.

I've often considered getting in on a contest that requires serial
numbers about an hour after it started and then doing S&P, giving people
serial numbers in the thousands, and then not sending in a log. That
should raise a few eyebrows!  :-)

73, Zack W9SZ