Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "Bob Naumann - W5OV" <W5OV@W5OV.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:36:50 -0600
Mal,

Good try, but you can't deflect the criticism for this one.

Your assertion in this matter, along with your earlier condemnations of
legions of contesters as cheaters, AND your specious accusations of
mercenary contest sponsors - all without any evidence are par for the course
with you.  Zero credibility.

Let's revisit your most worthy "Silliest Comment on CQ-Contest for 2005"
award winner.  The reception and use of packet spots *by participants* in
the contest is the only area anyone should be concerned.  Regardless of
whether or not non-entrants are spotting participants continuously for the
24 hours of the contest, the *participants* should not be *receiving* those
packet spots.

Now, do you know of one *participant* in the Stew Perry TBDC who did
*receive* those packet spots and send in a log?

As is customary with your untenable indictments, I expect that you won't
have one callsign of a alleged cheater to promulgate.

(By the way, the runner-up for "Silliest Comment on CQ-Contest for 2005" was
the related pointing out that packet is not packet if it's via the Internet.
Watch for a special report from John Stossel on ABC's 20/20 as a "Give me a
break" story in 2006.)

Now, in all seriousness, there is a related issue that perhaps should be
discussed absent of accusations concerning packet use, and that is the
impact to the scores of those who do get spotted, by attracting more
non-entrant callers via their use of packet.  Then, there's the related
issue (my fave) of "cheerleading" where individuals recruit their friends in
either an overt or clandestine manner to spot primarily the individual
during a contest.  However, that discussion is a bit more cerebral than
this, so perhaps we should defer it until after New Year's?  Is this really
the issue Mal?

There is one good thing about all of this, and it occurred in a related
discussion of TBDC & "CWAC" (Contest within a Contest) which is:

(Trumpets) Da, da - da - dah!

The truly "Funniest Comment on CQ-Contest for the year 2005" which is this
from Pat WW9R:

"Yuri,

I agree with you.  I don't like the whole "real time scoring" thing.

I prefer to wait until after the contest to start feeling bad about how I
did...

Pat
WW9R"

Good job Pat, and congratulations!  I laughed out loud when I read this.

Most ironic is that K3BU is part of it.

(Work on the spelling a little though Pat - feeling only has one 'L' - I
fixed it in this quote)

MX & HNY All!

Bob W5OV