Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>, "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>,"Barry" <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:01:50 -0600
The notion that people who make contacts on an amateur radio frequency are
bound by rules of a contest they aren't participating in is amazingly
fallacious.

Contest rules do not supplant or append to radio regulations. They are
merely to govern the actions of those who wish to be considered entrants in
a contest. Those who do not wish to submit to the rules (by submitting a
log) are not bound by any rules other than those governing their licence.

The suggestion that a Cluster-free contest should for that weekend require
everyone on the band to turn off their Cluster connection is both arrogant
and misplaced.

Sheesh! We have a bad enough rep among non-contesters as it is for taking
over bands during contests. To think that we should then be allowed to
dictate the terms by which non-contesters can operate on frequencies that
are rightly available to them is mindblowing, to say the least.

Non-contesters use contests for their own purposes, mainly to pad their
award totals. If they get on to work competitors in the Stew, that does not
mean they must follow the contest rules. Contest rules apply only to those
stations submitting a log. Contest organizers have no authority beyond
controlling the activities of entrants.

73, kelly
ve4xt