Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: Steve London <n2ic@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:34:34 -0500
N7MAL wrote:
> Oh they say they
> aggressively pursue cheating but talk is cheap, actions speak louder
> than words.

Let's test that assertion.

For the 2004 CQWW Phone and CQWW CW contests I compared the
high-claimed, unassisted scores, as reported to the 3830 reflector, with
the final results, published in the August and September 2005 CQ
magazines. I was specifically looking for changes in the category, or
results that were reported on 3830, but missing in CQ magazine. I looked
only at the top-10 USA, World and Europe scores in the all-band and
single-band categories.

Here's what I found:

CQWW Phone 2004

Call    3830 Claimed Category       CQ Magazine Category

W5PR        SOSB/10/HP              Not listed in final results
OE4A        SOAB/HP                 SOAB/HP/Assisted
S57M        SOSB/160/HP             Not listed in final results
HA8FW       SOSB/160/LP             Not listed in final results

CQWW CW 2004

N6RV        SOSB/10/LP              Not listed in final results
W7WW(K7QQ)  SOSB/15/HP              Not listed in final results
W0AH        SOSB/20/LP              Not listed in final results
N7DD        SOSB/40/HP              Not listed in final results
3V8BB(YT1AD) SOAB/HP                Not listed in final results
KP3Z(NP4Z)  SOAB/LP                 Not listed in final results
T99W        SOSB/40/HP              Not listed in final results
SN2N(SP2ASJ) SOSB/80/LP             Not listed in final results

Maybe it's possible that the logs were never sent in, although I can't
understand whey someone would go through the trouble of posting a top-10
score on 3830, but not e-mailing the Cabrillo file to CQWW. It's also
possible that CQ magazine accidently left out some scores - although
that seems unlikely for a top-10 score.

73,
Steve, N2IC