Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log checking questions
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:28:02 -0500
A good sports analogy?  Well...

Many marathons, 10 K races, and so forth have hundreds if not thousands of
participants.  But look closer... there is usually an "elite" group of
runners seriously competing for prizes and/or records (and sometimes other
things, like making the Olympic team).  The vast majority, though, are there
just to be part of the race.  They don't try to "win" (and often can't,
since they don't actually start until minutes after the official "start" of
the race, being far back in the pack), but are just trying to see if they
can meet or break some personal goal (finish the race, beat their own
personal best time, etc. and so forth)

In most of our contests, we have that group of "elite" players who choose to
try and "win" their section/division/country/power class/etc.  And then we
have the vast majority who are on the air for personal goals -- pick up some
new entities or band entities, see how well they can do for a given period
of time, just have fun, etc.  Many of this group, if they send in a log at
all, do so for log checking purposes, or just to see their calls in the
scores, not to "win."  (And of course, if they are in the right area and the
right entry classification, sometimes one of these "what the heck" guys DO
win)

Bottom line, to me, is that no matter the contest rules, there will always
be someone who just shows up to throw out some contacts and could care less
about the rules.  Now, do you try and educate them on the spot (and maybe
tick them off and see them QRT with a chip on their shoulder about uppity
contesters), or do you just let it go and concentrate on your own operating?

73, ron wn3vaw