Re: [CQ-Contest] R: QRP - Get Over It

To: "Teemu, SM0WKA" <teemu@sm0wka.com>,"'cq-contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] R: QRP - Get Over It
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:21:20 -0800
At 06:47 AM 1/5/2006, Teemu, SM0WKA wrote:
>Bill,
>
>Not all of us want electronic confirmations. Collecting colourful cards is
>part of the hobby. If a neighbour comes over sometimes I pull down a stack
>of cards to show what the hobby is all about, I can not imagine an ARRL LOTW
>report giving that same attraction.

I like colorful cards too, but a .jpg image by email is just fine.
Maybe better, because it isn't limited to postcard size. Make it as
big and as much detail and information as you like.

>And then another point, It is harder for foreign hams to get in to LOTW than
>obtaining a VISA to actually visit USA!!! No way I am going to start taking
>photocopies of my license and passports and send to ARRL, I wonder why this
>is not required when actually sending the cards right to ARRL or local
>fieldchecker.

Agreed. I have complained long and loud about the security overkill
in LOTW. Hopefully something will be done. Banks handle financial
transactions in perfect security with much less hassle than LOTW uses
for QSLs which have no financial value at all. Something needs fixing.

>Yes LOTW is a relief for some hams, then it also Kills the pleasure of
>others. Still not answering paper QSLs is non-hamspirit.

I have plenty of ham spirit. Been licensed since 1957, very active in
contesting and DXing, homebrewing, you name it. I love ham radio and
I'm one of it's biggest boosters. Ham radio has been a major part of
my life for almost 50 years. Don't tell me I don't have "ham spirit" !!

73, Bill W6WRT