Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future

To: "'Ward Silver'" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:44:43 -0500
Ward writes:

> I have a strong feeling that most aspects of ham radio will
> going to look mighty different in say, 2020, than they do at
> the beginning of 2006.  This is not because of some nefarious
> plot by the ARRL - it is because of technology and demographics.
> I know that the majority of us that form the "pig in the snake"
> would like ham radio to stay pretty much like it was when we got
> started in it, but I'm not going to bet any money that happening.

I would hope that those who value amateur radio would seek to have
much of the MF/HF allocations treated as international parks.  That
is they remain as a preserve, away from high data rate, automated
modes of operation.  Preserved, if you will for "the older forms
of radio."  Just as we have set aside areas of natural beauty and
wilderness that are reserved for those who operate without motor
vehicles, generators and the "home on wheels," or many areas have
created equestrian and hiking trails, I would hope that the spectrum
below 30 MHz could be preserved for the old skills.

There is plenty of spectrum above 144 MHz ... or even about 900 MHz
for the multi-megabit-per-second, gotta-have-it-now, gadgets.  That
spectrum may even be more appropriate for "hinternet" and "hackberry"
use.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV