Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Somewhere in the Future
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:54:53 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Ward Silver wrote:

> I have a strong feeling that most aspects of ham radio will going to look
> mighty different in say, 2020, than they do at the beginning of 2006.  This
> is not because of some nefarious plot by the ARRL - it is because of
> technology and demographics.  I know that the majority of us that form the
> "pig in the snake" would like ham radio to stay pretty much like it was when
> we got started in it, but I'm not going to bet any money that happening.

Well, some things change (rigs, antennas etc. are far better than they
ever were) but some things don't. We still have basically the same
ionosphere, same sunspot cycle, same propagation conditions as we did 50
years ago.

Radio is still magic to me!

73, Zack W9SZ

"No, no, no, you don't understand how radio works.  All I have to do is
get some dry ice and cue the organist ..."