Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QST Contest Results
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:40:03 -0400
All of this is very reminiscent of the discussions of this topic four
years ago. Yes indeed, What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

At 03:33 AM 5/19/06, N7MAL wrote:
>What are the numbers Jim? The ARRL claims, on their website, 152,000
>members. How many members on this list? How many members at contesting.com ?

Don't know about CQ-Contest or contesting.com. However, the ARRL
Contester's Rate Sheet had over 14,000 e-mail subscribers in March
according to N0AX. On the other hand, NCJ has a paid circulation of a
bit more than 2500 according to the most recent publishers statement.

I think that says something about the number of contesters and their
willingness to spend money.

At 08:04 AM 5/19/06, Dale Putnam wrote:
>This is very disturbiing, not only do they not publish what we
>want... they have mislaid the idea that the customer comes first...

For whatever reasons, contest results are a polarizing subject:
people seem to either love them or hate them. And when the
"customers" are surveyed about what they'd like to see being
published, contest results always drew big negatives and low
positives. (The latest of the QST reader surveys was summarized in
Jun '04 QST and is included in
<http://www.arrl.org/ads/ad-matters/Ad-Matters-Oct-2004.pdf>).

It's hard to reconcile "The Customer Is Always Right" with the
preferences expressed by the membership in objective surveys.

Bud,
Keep letting your division director know how you feel about this. It
took a vote of the ARRL board of directors to relocate contest line
scores from QST to the Web. The only way line scores would ever be
brought requires similar action by the ARRL BoD; the staff in
Newington can't do it on their own initiative.

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk@alum.mit.edu