Re: [CQ-Contest] radio MP vs all

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] radio MP vs all
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 08:26:35 +0200
Except for the ORION and FT-9000 (maybe the IC7800 also) the FT-1000D
is the ONLY radio that will measure in the 90 dB IMD3DR bracket,
atleast after it has been "slightly" modified.

Whats needed is about 25 diodes, 1 transistor and 3 resistors,
parts cost around 35 dollars or so.
After those mods radio will measure around 88 dB IMD3DR.
If one wants to go wild and spend another 155 dollars you buy
the INRAD roofing filter, however that is ONLY going to buy
you another 2 dB.
With all these mods my FT-1000D measures 90-91 dB IMD3DR.

Perehaps the old MP or the Mk5´s can be "slightly" modified
also but I just haven´t heard about any.

73 Jim SM2EKM

PS: Measurements are close spaced 2 kHz.