Re: [CQ-Contest] MLA-2500 as a contest amp?

To: "'Radiosporting Fan'" <radiosporting@yahoo.com>,"'CQ-Contest MailList'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] MLA-2500 as a contest amp?
From: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:33:42 +0300
Sure MLA is a contest duty cycle amp.

Remember to monitor temperatures so you will maximise the lifetime of
the very expensive tubes MLA2500 uses.
Or modify it for some other tube after the original tubes end their
contract.
Your power limit is 1500W out. That is too much for MLA2500 unless you
really take care of the rising temperatures.

I have operated two-three contests with MLA in the 1980's.
Nice & stable amp.
Easy to tune.

In multiband antenna use the harmonics may become an issue, but that is
not a major thing.
In 1980's I was running one radio with mono band antennas.

Finnish output power limit was 600W back then -> no problems.
With the current limit of 1000W that might be an issue if the ambient
temperature rises too high.

73,
Jukka OH6LI