Re: [CQ-Contest] Icom 746 as contesting rig

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Icom 746 as contesting rig
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:55:39 EDT
If you have the space available in your car, IMHO the IC-746 is perhaps the
best rig available for mobile contesting.

It has an internal antenna tuner with memory for 100 KHz segments, so one
can QSY instantly from the phone to CW ends on 40 meters with one button push.
(on the higher bands this is not much of a challenge, and it is impossible on
80/75 meters.

It has two HF antenna outputs, so again band switching between 2 antennas  is
automatic.

The display is large and bright enough to be easily seen in pretty bright
daylight.

It is big enough to dissipate the heat a 100 watt radio generates.

It has a built in memory keyer.  It is not easy to program on the fly,  but a
few simple messages like  "CQ OQP DE K8MR/M" or "QRX NEW CTY" are  handy
while the computer is booting up with a new county file.

Beyond mobile considerations, you get the two most active VHF bands,  opening
up a whole new realm of contesting.

It lacks provisions for things like switchable 500 and 250 Hz CW filters  and
dual receive, but my general impression is that there is not a great
difference in performance between it and the 1000MP, at least in the MP's stock

configuration.

In short, it is a very fun radio.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

            Check  out my IC-746 in the Ohio QSO Party, Saturday August  26.