Re: [CQ-Contest] Why did the Canadians (PT5M) beat the Americans(PW5C)in

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why did the Canadians (PT5M) beat the Americans(PW5C)in WRTC 2006?
From: "Ted Bryant" <w4nz@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 11:44:50 -0400
Very interesting analysis and obviously a LOT of effort went into this. Reading
this, a few thoughts
occured:

1. Did the guys at PT5M also have a 40m terrain advantage over others (PW5X,
for example) in top
five? Top ten?
2. If the terrain profile to the USA is an advantage on 40m, isn't it also an
advantage on the
higher bands?
3. From the coordinates given, it appears PT5M is almost 200km North of PW5C.
Could this also
account for a much different propagation to USA on 40m?
4. HFTA's angles are averages over solar cycles, months, etc.  It would be
interesting to generate
arrival angles based on actual solar data for the period of the contest and
re-run the analysis.

Jose, thanks for an interesting perspective on the differences in the top two
scores.

Congratulations on your first child!! Hope mother, child..and dad..are doing
well.

73, Ted W4NZ