Re: [CQ-Contest] 1966 vs 2006 [was: Why did the Canadians (PT5M)beat the

To: Barry <w2up@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 1966 vs 2006 [was: Why did the Canadians (PT5M)beat the Americans...]
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:28:09 -0400
Barry, I don't think you and I have any disagreement.  I was only trying to
point out the fallacy of the "layer" notion - or as you say, discrete quanta.
There is no doubt that as path loss decreases, more stations are workable,
because they can now hear and be heard.  Propagation is as much or more of a
variable than station differences, in many cases, but the sum total (path
characteristics plus station characteristics on both ends) determines from
minute to minute which stations are workable and which are not.

73, Pete N4ZR