Re: [CQ-Contest] A CW Contest Do-list [was: CW Accuracy]

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A CW Contest Do-list [was: CW Accuracy]
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:58:32 -0400
W2EV wrote: "Do match the sending speed of the slowest QSO participant
   a. Do respond to a CQ at the same or slower speed
   b. Do respond to a reply to your CQ at the same or
      slower speed"

Something I have been advocating for several years! I know that my CW copy
is not at "serious" (serious = 30+) contest speed. However, I do like to
participate, and do. When I answer another stations CQ, I try and adjust my
CW speed to coincide with theirs, even if I have to listen to several
exchanges, before I call. Usually, later in the contest, as my copy speed
improves, I will, also call CQ, at/about 26-28. I feel that those that call
me at their "machine gun" speed, are either trying to intimidate me, or just
forgot to reduce their speed setting. Since "they called me", IMHO, it is
their responsibility to insure that I "have it right", and the only way that
can be accomplished is by me being able to, correctly, copy their exchange?
If they have no problem with several repeats, until I get it right, then
"machine gun" away!
Before all the "serious" CWers advise me to "practice, practice, and then
practice some more", in order to increase my CW speed, remember:  "this is
my station, and I am able to choose my operating style"! If "my" style isn't
the same as "your" style, if I call you, it is my responsibility to adjust
"my" style to "your" style. Likewise, if "your" style isn't the same as "my"
style, and you call me, it is your responsibility to adjust "your" style to
"my" style?

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW