Re: [CQ-Contest] A CW Contest Do-list [was: CW Accuracy]

To: n2ic@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A CW Contest Do-list [was: CW Accuracy]
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:01:37 -0700
Or how about when you come across a nice, new mult, like 4U1, and you
are just waiting for him to complete his current Q when a loud W4 or W5,
talking as slow as they possibly can, calls him and asks just where is
4U1 and then proceeds to tell him his name, his wife and ten kids names,
and how his hound dog is hiding under the table because it is raining
like cats and dogs down home at my QTH, etc, etc.

Steve London wrote:

>AD5VJ Bob wrote:
>

>>I sorta did this during the EU contest last weekend.
>>
>>A couple of unaware general class stations answered my SSB "CQ
>>CONTEST" from somewhere stateside to tell me "your 59 in Arkansas"
>>and another one from Texas.
>>
>>I wasn't on CW obviously, but the same principle applies.
>>
>>I just thanked them for the contact and responded with "your also 59
>>in Texas".
>>
>>They enjoyed it - it seemed - and went on their way feeling
>>accomplished.
>>
>>I think that is encouraging for them more than anything, feeling
>>accomplished.
>>
>>I just didn't have the heart to tell them "this is an EU contest No
>>North America EU only" or anything like that.
>>
>>For the same time spent I just worked them instead.
>>

>No, Bob, let me tell you how it really works for a loud station in the
>western USA, like me...
>
>N2IC: CQ Contest CQ Contest November Two India Charlie
>Other station: QRM...QRM...Eight...QRM...Why...QRM
>N2IC: The Eight Yankee, again
>Other station:  Long silence, then... Roger, this is Kay Bee Eight Ex
>Why Zee. The personal here is Buster, and we are situated in Podunk
>Hollow, West Virginia, in coal county. How do you copy this grounded
>dipole old man ?
>
>Meanwhile, halfway into Buster's narrative, YT**, hearing nothing on the
>frequency (Buster is, of course, inaudible in Europe), opens up with his
>own high-powered CQ Contest.
>
>N2IC: Yankee Tango * *, the frequency is in use.
>YT**: CQ Contest, Yankee Tango * *.
>N2IC: Yankee Tango * *, the frequency is in use.
>YT**: CQ Contest, Yankee Tango * *.
>
>A disgruntled N2IC fights with an indignant YT** for the frequency. One
>of us eventually goes off in search of another run frequency.

>or, the other alternative:
>
>N2IC: CQ Contest CQ Contest November Two India Charlie
>Other station: Kay Bee Eight Ex Why Zee
>N2IC: Kay Bee Eight Ex Why Zee, Five Nine New Mexico
>Other station: Roger, you're Five Nine West Virginia
>N2IC: Thanks, November Two India Charlie, Contest !
>Other station(s): (Small pileup of other 0-point USA stations who have
>all been listening to N2IC for the past 30 minutes. They figure that
>since I worked KB8XYZ, I'll now work them).
>
>Nope, the best thing to do under these circumstances is:
>N2IC: Kay Bee Eight Ex Why Zee. Sorry, DX only for this contest. CQ
>Contest CQ Contest ...
>
>73,
>Steve, N2IC

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Official USCG Auxiliary Comm Station
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Delta Rocket Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
Aviation Chief Warrant Officer,  U.S. Coast Guard, Retired