Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:55:54 -0700 (PDT)
Paraphrasing Kenneth's post, "Using the number of log
submissions as the criteria, VHF Contesting is on the
decline, and HF Contesting is on the rise."

> So, I would be inclined to conclude the empircal
> evidence shows that contesting overall is not in
> decline, and in fact DX contesting, and
> expecially DX contesting on CW, has never been more
> popular than it is today.

In the USA, the Amateur Radio population is divided,
in a very lop-sided way:

Total licenses      : 655,194
Technician          : 320,499
All other Classes   : 334,695
Source: http://ah0a.org/FCC/Licenses.html

The increase in HF/CW contest log submissions is
coming from the 1/2 of the Amateur population that has
HF/CW priviledges.  The decrease in VHF contest log
submissions is coming from the other 1/2 of the
Amateur population.

Said another way, 1/2 of our population is submitting
more logs, while 1/2 of our population is submitting
fewer logs.  I am not certain that log submittal is
the gauge by which we should measure this discussion.
Instead, maybe we, as a community, need to ask
ourselves, "Why is there such a disparity between the
two groups?"

Ev, W2EV