Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: "'Ev Tupis'" <w2ev@yahoo.com>,"'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: "Mike Clarson" <mclarson@rcc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 12:08:27 -0400

Ev: I Note you are typing this while the 432 mHz Sprint is happening. Your
analysis is a bit flawed. The decline in VHF logs comes from 100% of the ham
population, not just the technicians. My thoughts: Rise in log submissions I
think (well, at least it is for me)is due in part to familiarity with
computer logging, increased use of computers in the shack, and the ease of
e-mailing in your log. If it were possible to analyze, I suggest that the
percentage of VHF logs submitted vs number of participants has increased.
That would mean participation is down on VHF. Why? Many (not me) think its
too much effort for too little return. Last night I spent 4 hours on 432
from a decent location with decent equipment and antenna, and worked 13
stations. There were grid squares I could see, yet I could hear no
one.--Mike, WV2ZOW