Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting Extinction
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 05 Oct 2006 00:23:01 -0500
On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 17:49, VE5ZX wrote:
> The time period examined in the contesting.com article covers a period when
> the world-wide use of the Internet and email was rapidly increasing and
> electronic log submission was become more pervasive.
>
> It is possible that a large percentage of the increase in log submissions
> maybe due to the ease of using email instead of snail mail to submit logs
> while the actual number of participants has not increased as much or perhaps
> even declined?

It would be interesting to compute the total number of QSOs reported.

The fact that score records continue to be broken with regularity
suggests that casual activity is at least flat if not increasing.

(though I suppose it might also suggest that wider availability of
cheap, efficient contest software is making casual participants more
efficient -- if there aren't any more "little guns" than there used to
be but the ones that are there are more efficient?)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66