Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:23:15 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:06:46 -0400, "Joe Subich, W4TV"
 <w4tv@subich.com> wrote:

>Not true ... digital operation is not permitted in spectrum
>allocated to phone.  The changes on 80 and 40 will push a
>substantial amount of domestic digital activity right into
>the middle of Advanced/General/Novice/Tech+ CW activity and
>will result is a substantial problem.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

One factual error and two differences of opinion in the above.

1. Digital operation is permitted anywhere in the 160 meter band, as
are phone and CW.

2. Digital activity is rare above 3600 already. Little change is
expected. Even during major contests, 3570-3600 is pretty much wide
open. In more than a hundred contests I have never had a problem
finding an open frequency there.

3. Likewise, because of Region 1 and 3 allocations, RTTY contest
activity has pretty much shifted to the 7030-7045 area already. Only
on purely domestic contests such as the Sprint and NAQP is there
significant activity in the 7080-7100 area, and that could easily move
sown with no significant impact, especially considering the power
limits of those two contests.

The sky is still intact. :-)

Bill, W6WRT