Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency Conservation
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 16:02:27 -0400
Bill,

> 1. Digital operation is permitted anywhere in the 160 meter band, as
> are phone and CW.

We weren't talking about 160 meters which seems to have "special status"
and be exempt from the FCC's own logic in the Report and Order:

   | We believe that separation of emission types by bandwidth is
   | accepted in the amateur service as a reasonable means to minimize
   | interference on shared frequencies and bands

> 2. Digital activity is rare above 3600 already.

Bull - there is considerable domestic digital activity above 3600.
You may not hear it because you don't tune that high during contests
and don't listen at other times.

> 3. Likewise, because of Region 1 and 3 allocations, RTTY contest
> activity has pretty much shifted to the 7030-7045 area already.

Again, you are being extremely myopic. Digital activity does not
begin and end with the major RTTY contests.  There is a significant
level of domestic digital activity above 7075.  All of that activity
- plus the automated digital systems - will be forced below 7075.

Not only will the loss of half of the current digital spectrum
on 80 and 40 meters impact digital operations, that displaced
digital activity will negatively impact CW operations as the
digital activity (and state/section nets) find a new homes between
3540-3575 and 7040-7075.  Anyone who believes otherwise does not
know the extent of non-contest activity or is whistling past the
graveyard.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV