Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 21 Oct 2006 00:21:12 -0500
On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 13:08, Bob Cox wrote:
> The CQ WW Contest Committee is discussing whether use of real-time
> contest scoreboards is likely to convey information about band
> openings and profitable tactics to an extent that participants using
> the scoreboards should be categorized as assisted. The 2006 CQ WW contest
> rules have already been published and they will govern the 2006 contests.
>
> We welcome your comments on this, and suggest the possibility of also
> sending the comments to the CQ-Contest reflector so that others can
> see them and possibly follow up.
>
> Comments can be sent to live@cqww.com

- Certainly it shouldn't be illegal to *post* your score to a
scoreboard.  Since such posting doesn't include specific frequency data,
it doesn't constitute self-spotting.  IMHO a single-op provides more
information about band openings and profitable tactics when they spot
the stations they work S&P on packet - when you spot, you indicate
specifically what parts of the world you're working and how you're
tuning the band.  The scoreboards don't provide that much information.
Yet sending spots is perfectly legal for a single-op.

- So, IMHO the only question should be whether it should be permissible
for single-ops to *read* a scoreboard during the contest.  It seems to
me a scoreboard is a VERY inefficient way to accumulate competitive
information that would be far faster & easier to acquire by simply
tuning the band.  I see no reason to ban its use.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66