Re: [CQ-Contest] Easy way to correct answer

To: k-zero-hb@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Easy way to correct answer
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:34:32 -0500
On Nov 13, 2006, at 1:19 PM, K0HB wrote:

>>      In our party, the exchange is a serial number as well as a county or
>> section. Serial numbers start at one and work their way up. Sounds
>> pretty simple, eh? Multi-op stations tend to have that second station
>> start at 1001, if there are 3 stations, the third one starts at 2001.
>> But wait a minute! This is no longer a serial number.  Do we need to
>> define that the second station starts at 2001? or do we mandate that
>> all multi op stations have either software that can be netted
>> together, or otherwise come up with a method to ensure that all QSO's
>> are serial, and occur serially and chronologically.
>>

> Why would you want to?  The serial number does not affect score, it
> is just
> a piece of info exchanged between stations.

        I wouldn't. I was pointing out the hazards of having to "go lawyer"
for every single aspect of a contest.  I get a lot of comments such
as Jeff's:

>> Published rules should be
>> accurate and complete.

end quote

        And it makes me cringe. Personally I'm expecting operators to be
knowledgeable and not have to be told every single aspect of a
contest. And I really don't want to hear that "If you don't spell
this out specifically, then that means that we can ignore all the rules.

> For that matter, SS rules do not prescribe that the numbers start
> at "1",
> only that they need to be sequential.
>
> "4. Exchange: The required exchange consists of:
>    4.1. A consecutive serial number;
>
> Let's say I sent 905 exchanges in last years SS Phone.  No rule
> says my
> first contact next weekend can't be serial # 906.

        I think we agree. As long as it is number 96 in the other guy's log,
it's good

> "Everything not specifically prohibited is mandatory."

Now you got it! I've been trying to tell the XYL that we HAD to have
that keg at the last contest!!! ;^)

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -