Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: "'K4RO Kirk Pickering'" <k4ro@darkstar.k4ro.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: "Mike Fatchett" <mike@mallardcove.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:55:39 -0700

K4RO Wrote:

"My bottom line is that I would never use a scoreboard in a serious
single operator competitive effort. I am far too busy making QSOs to
spend my time playing with the Internet.  I do think that real time
scoreboards could be a boon to my casual contest operating, and I look
forward to trying the technology again.  Thanks to Gerry and everyone
who made it happen.  Here we go again, down another winding road..."

Having the scoreboard or top five open on a window would not take anymore
room than any other window.  If it motivated you once why would it not
motivate you again?  I was not watching my score but I did notice that I was
20 Qso's behind the next guy and had wished I had beat him!  580 contacts is
certainly not competitive. Maybe a web page is not the best way to get that
info to the op.  Maybe you get updates every 10 mins that are displayed in
your logging program or maybe a ticker that rolls across the bottom of the
screen etc.  The web page is just one delivery system.

I think the real draw to the scoreboard is for all the other guys like you
mentioned.  If an op makes another 100 contacts that just made 100 ops on
the other end happy!

I was disappointed that more serious efforts were not posted for the SSB
side of the contest.  I did not watch it much over the weekend.  I had fun
watching the CW scores though.  I did make many more contacts on cw than I
expected to make.

Mike W0MU