Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoreboards
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 06:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike Fatchett mike@mallardcove.com

I was not watching my score but I did notice that I was 20 Qso's behind the
next guy and had wished I had beat him!
<snip>
Maybe a web page is not the best way to get that info to the op.  Maybe you get
updates every 10 mins that are displayed in your logging program or maybe a
ticker that rolls across the bottom of the screen etc.  The web page is just
one delivery system.
----------------------------

Mike,
You are echoing the comments that VHFers who have used the more proprietary
RFSport.com Logger system have echo'd.  That logging system has a "scoreboard
pane" embedded right in the logger.  By watching your competition's score in
near real time, people have been motivated to "dig in" and try to catch up/pass
others.

Someone else mentioned that family members became engaged by periodically
checking to see how their participating spouses/parents were doing.  "THAT is
what I'm talkin' about!"  Excitement from non-Amateurs will draw more into our
hobby.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV