[CQ-Contest] MIDCARS

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] MIDCARS
From: "Sean D. Fleming" <sean@k8khz.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:24:54 -0800 (PST)
First of all. I must make note that I worked 77 sections. I wonder if there is
an award for working every providence in Canada.

  Secondly, I was working the contest for some time on 7.260 on SUnday
Afternoon when the midcars people were saying I was causing QRM to them on
7.258.

  I know that on a contest weekend that being 3khz spacing never occurs it is
more like 2. With that said. My main question is why is it the Midcars net goes
from 0900 - 1400 hrs Eastern Time. this is 5 hours long. I know of no other net
that does this. Most of the time there is no active QSO there but if you ask if
the frequency is in use someone will come back and say yes, they are
Monitoring. Monitoring is not having a QSO. So, is the net really that long? I
believe that the MIDCARS is trying to hold the frequency for a good cause for
mobiles that want to talk  and check in. But, maybe they should ask the FCC to
get that frequency as a national calling mobile frequency.  I had asked one
operator who was asking me to move what time the net was over they came back
and said, "when ever the last checkin is" I aksed if this was an open ended. I
feel that this is not right. There should be a limit placed on thier net as far
as time.

  Sean K8KHZ