Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window
From: Mike Gilmer <n2mg@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:37:14 -0800 (PST)
I'm not a big fan of special windows during contests.

During "normal" times, it makes sense to have certain
operating areas in which one can increase the odds of
finding like-minded individuals (Digital, SSTV, DX,
etc.) therby making QSOs.  However, in a contest, when

the band fills up, they are counter-productive.
Rather than enhancing the ability of hams to make
contacts, they reduce it.

Why should a few "DX" (or SSTV, or...) individuals
expect to have clear frequencies when contesters do
not; why can they expect special sanctuary when nets,
rag chewers and non-contesters do not?

Does the "potential" for a DX/SSTV QSO outweigh the
actual QSOs being made by the contesters?  Are "they"
more important than "us"?

It's not like phone contests occur every weekend... at

least not ones that take up entire bands.  What is it,

3-4 times a year?  Is that too much burden for our
non-
contesting brethren to bear?

I know on CW that several times, I've been chased out
of "digital" areas after running several stations on
an otherwise quiet frequency.  Who's jamming whom?

I'm not saying to act like a jerk and ignore
the "windows" but if there's nowhere else available,
we should not be made to feel guilty.  But, alas, we
will.

73 Mike N2MG

clear
> frequency on 75m around 3797.  I knew it was in the
DX zone,
> but running low power, any port in a storm.  I
called CQ and
> ran a dozen stations or so.
>
> About then, some voice came on and asked me why I
had to
> contest in the Window "as I had the whole band I
could use."
> We then started a silly conversation about finding
clear
> frequencies, etc.  Now, if this guy had simply and
politely
> asked me to move out of the window, I would have.
But, he
> didn't.  So I didn't.  I did feel guilty enough to
leave
> after another few minutes.  Only to tune back by a
few
> minutes later and hear another (and much louder)
contester
> parked there.
>
> I had a similar experience over the weekend with the
friendly
> hams who live on 14232.
>
> In the end, the attitude you give is the attitude
you get.
> It's not a matter of me thinking my use of a
frequency is any
> more important than theirs. But the guys who ask
nice,
> usually get what they want a lot sooner.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

I do.

> > I tuned the 75m DX window Saturday night and found
a few
> > stations calling CQ (and spotted them on packet).
I did not
> > tune around the band to find other places they
could have done so.

> > I think it was K1KD I heard around 3799, who made
a stink
> > when someone asked him to move out of the DX
Window.  I would
> > hope operators from YCCC or any other large
contest club
> > would have set a better example and just moved
(K1KD did not).

> > I don't think it's that hard to respect
long-established