Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window

To: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>,"Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:24:59 -0600
Without prejudice to no one, I offer the following thoughts on band plans
from the very ARRL whose rules Mal is basing his argument upon:

You'll note that it comes down very clearly in favour of 'reasonable'
accomodation of contest activity contrary to band plans, calling frequencies
and, by extension, DX windows.

(It's from http://www.arrl.org/contests/hf-faq.html#during if you don't
believe me.)
c) Band plans

Question 1: I heard W1AW working Europe on 40 phone, listening on 7010 kHz.
Isn't that in violation of the Region I band plan?

Question 2: The ARRL Web site shows 7.040 MHz as the international RTTY
calling frequency. Do I have to avoid it?

Question 3: Rules for an ARRL contest suggest frequencies from 14225 to
14275. Can I answer stations calling on 14290?

Band plans are just that - plans. They are designed for normal circumstances
when band loading is much lighter than during a contest. During major
contests, the bands will be very crowded, resulting in conditions that the
band plan is not intended to address. Avoid willful interference and be as
courteous as possible to non-contest QSOs within the limits of the contest
rules and licensing regulations.

Calling frequencies are also intended to allow stations to find their peers
under customary circumstances. During a contest, be aware of where the
calling frequencies are, but if no contacts are going on there, you have
every right to try and make contest QSOs.