Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window

To: "Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRM in DX Window
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 00:25:43 -0000
Lately many replies to my comments have started out with: ""I don't often
agree with Mal, N7MAL but this time I do.""
It's a scary world if I'm making sense...hihihi....
There were many rude stations in the DX Window during the contest, including
me defending the window. The ARRL band plan clearly shows 3790-3800 as the
DX Window. There is approx 240 khz of operating space, minus the 10 khz
window. The reason certain contesters try to operate there is because it is
nice and quiet. It is quiet because it is the only SSB segment on 75 meters
that is shared by the entire world. One of the many private responses I got
asked why can't I give up the Window for 1 weekend a year. First it's not
just 1 weekend it is several, Secondly why should the DX community give up
their tiny 10 khz window when there is plenty of open space on the band.
Several suggested, actually told me, to go to the WARC bands. 75 meter SSB
DXing is very special for a variety of reasons and cannot be found on the
WARC bands.
The bottom line is why is what contesters do more important the what DXers
do on a well established 10 khz window, a window which is endorsed by the
ARRL? Yes there should be give-n-take but we are talking about 10 khz exempt
with 240 khz remaining for SSB contesting.
73

MAL
N7MAL
BULLHEAD CITY, AZ