[CQ-Contest] Assisted - still trying to get it right

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Assisted - still trying to get it right
From: kr2q@optonline.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:18:47 +0000 (GMT)
It was recently posted that:

[snip]
That's not Single-Op Assisted, that's (technically) Multioperator.  The
definition of "Assisted" in both CQ and ARRL contests is specifically
limited to spotting assistance, with "spot" presumably defined as a complete
identification of call sign, frequency, and time.  "Assisted" category does
not cover all forms of "assistance" - as I discuss in this evening's issue
of the Contester's Rate Sheet.
[end snip]

I couldn't DISAGREE more.  Please read the CQWW Rules:
http://www.cqww.com/WW%20Rules%202006.pdf

Note that it says, :

"The use of DX alerting assistance of any kind places the station in the SINGLE
OPERATOR
ASSISTED category."  That is a direct QUOTE!  Please note the phrase "of any
kind."

Your stated "presumption" of the definition to mean the "complete
identification of call sign,
frequency, and time" is your own invention and certainly NOT correct for CQWW.
You have
somehow narrowed the definition of "of any kind" to be something very specific,
which is not
part of the rule.  You go on to state the exact opposite of the rule states
when you state
that "the rules does not cover all forms of assistance."  When it comes to DX
alerting
assistance, Yes it does cover all kinds!

When someone says that the band is open "to the Pacific" and you are in the USA
(or VE or etc), it is my considered opinion, that such "notification" certainly
does qualify as "DX alerting assistance OF ANY KIND."  It's about DX and it is
assistance.  What else would you call it?  The fact that it resulted in
additional DX qso's is just more proof (but not necessary to meet the
criteria).

What if you are competing with your buddy in a "local" or "regional" or "club"
competition.
You are both slugging it out on an equal basis.  You both have the same years
experience,
you both have the same rig, antennas, and tower, and you both are at the same
elevation
with the same "surrounding" terrain topography.  You are both approaching the
finish line and
you both have essentially the same score.  Suddenly, someone "mentions" to your
competitor
that "the band is open to the Pacific" and he works some extra Q's or an extra
mult or two,
and as a result, he wins.  Are you telling me that he was not "assisted?"

If there were an organized effort to find other club members and "alert them"
about band
opening (say, on 10m during the sunspot bottom), and as a result, many of those
club
members "discover" more Q's and maybe more mults, how could that NOT be defined
as
assisted?  Does it make a difference if the "alerting" is over the internet or
over the HF air?

Food for thought.

DISCLAIMER:
The concepts and interpretations mentioned above are my own and should not be
construed
as any official or unofficial consensus by any contest committee with which I
may be
associated.

de Doug KR2Q