Re: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Dupes or Duped?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:53:12 -0500
Some of these simply can not believe that computer programs aren't perfect
and/or that people, especially themselves, are not infallible.

I can remember one time in the very early stone age of computer logging,
calling a particular station early in a contest and the op insisting quite
vehemently that I was a dupe.  Not possible, since I'd only worked about 10
or 12 stations, and I had the paper log sheet right in front of me.  A
little while later, that same station called me... told me that he had a
problem with his computer not recognizing my old call's WN3 prefix as a
legal call sign, and incorrectly telling him I was a dupe.  (Yes, this was
also before the time of vanity calls as we now know them)

No, sorry to say, I was not charitable.  He'd said a few choice things that
bordered on unacceptable air quality about my operating abilities, alluding
to the onset of premature senillity on my part, during the earlier
encounter, and my dander was still up.  I was still angry enough that I told
him something on the lines of "sorry, you said I was a dupe, you insisted,
now live with it."  I'd like to believe that I wouldn't react the same way
today, but that's another tale...

73, ron w3wn