Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: Per Eklund <per.e@kommunicera.umea.se>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: DL8MBS <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 00:11:21 +0100
Per Eklund wrote:

>I think most of the contest organisers have come to the conclusion that the
>use of internet and packet is not controllable... And because of that, they
>allows the use....

If this is what organizers really think and not what they are saying for
possible other reasons: why don´t they stick to this logic  - and get
rid of LP- and QRP-categories? They are not controllable (even to a
lesser extent than packet/cluster use - I don´t remember a DQ based on
power-cheating, but the recent DQ about cluster use was undisputed,
wasn´t it?). Using the argument "not controllable" to abolish unassisted
categories but continuing power categories means double standards (I
still wouldn´t like to see power categories vanish even if I sometimes
have doubts about some results).
To continue with a lot of categories (and the somehow motivating awards
etc.) mostly based on truth&honour or ending with one open category for
all with all relevant information (operating time, power, SOxR,
assistance, basic antenna info in a scoretable-file) only added for
better comparison but not distributing awards?
73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)