[CQ-Contest] get rid of the Assisted Category

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] get rid of the Assisted Category
From: Charles Fulp <k3ww@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:12:15 +0000
Wow! lots of views on this one, many hitting on good points here and
there, Jeff nailed it pretty well, as far as he took it.
First, I hate the name "Assisted",  I thought the original CQ
"Unlimited" which the ARRL didn't go with was better.   Assisted won
out, although Unlimited has raised its head in the SS precedence.

In my mind set, Single Op Assisted would more appropriately be a sub
category of the Multi Op classes.  It seems many folks cannot accept the
idea that when you are the only person in the shack doing all the
listening and transmitting and logging, it is still possible to be a
multi op.  Before the advent of  a "single op assisted" class there was
a lot of packet and spotting net activity(Spotting goes back to the mid
1930:s), but rather few 1 man Multi Ops showing up in the results.  We
needed a palatable place for these folks to enter.
For those that don't like so many classes, I somewhat agree.  My modest
proposal was to lump ALL multiop classes together and divide the score
by the number of operators.  That never went over too well.

My background was in the Multi Multi class (for those that want to
reduce the competitive regions down to grid squares, understand my Multi
Multi was FREQUENTLY #2 in East Rockhill Township, Bucks County,
PA,USA-.  W3GPE(W3MM) was about 3 miles away and usually beat us).  I
liked Multi Multi, but maintaining a remote station, and keeping up with
the kids (mine and some of my ops) forced me to give up and retire from
big time contesting back in the early 80's.  After some years of big
antennas, I retired to the simple life of tribanders and shorty 40's and
a suburban lot.
Along came packet, our club had a network, I  put up a node, I couldn't
see a way to run the node and not see it now and then.  I started
entering M/S or when that was to restrictive with band change rules
..M/M  all by myself.  I believe K1AR did the same thing now and then in
those early days.
It was GREAT.... we didn't have these "passive" use rules in place.  GO
FRC attached to spots drove guys crazy.  We spotted our guys early and
often, we kibitzed, compared rates .. it was Multi Op without the mess.
Think of it... all the fun stuff without 1.SMOKERS, 2, NO SHOWS, 3. BO,
4. ODs, 5. GUYS THAT LOG BY5A in zone 8.  etc.

Still a lot of guys wouldn't enter as a Multi, so sponsors relented and
Assisted was introduced.

I was taken aback by KR2Q's #1 reason for entering Assisted : "it is
easier to win my category"; however, upon reflection that may be the
reason a LOT of guys enter whatever category they enter, although 160
QRP SSB is darned fun, especially when the sunspots are cooking.

I enter Assisted because I believe I can make more points with my
station and my skills, using spotting nets.  I still leave the spotting
network off from time to time and make a serious effort as a single op,
mostly QRP, or in shorter events where the hours of isolation are less
boring.  As it is, I practice various skills in LOTS of contests.  I
don't mind that some sponsors merged classes as in WAE, I don't mind
that some don't have a class that the skill
 I want to practice that weekend, doesn't fit in.  There is nothing
wrong with doing what you like to do and submitting a check log.  So
long as you do not diminish the fun other serious competitors are
having, it should not matter.  I really like getting on and exchanging
quick reports with guys I've been giving contest exchanges for up to 46
years.

I also really like approaching contesting as a time and resources
management problem.  I personally enjoy the extra resource of spotting
nets  as part of the mix, along with fitting the most antennas in the
available space, dealing with urban noise, loss of hearing and ll the
other problems and solutions available to  make the most points I can
whenever I decide to try.

Use of worldwide spotting can be integrated into an effective effort;
however, for a guy that already can win because of his skill, station,
and location; it is easy to screw up one of the skills that typically
win Single Op, when you try to integrate spotting.  At the highest
levels, one little slip can be enough to loose; however, as Jeff said,
if you do it right it has to help.  Doing it right sounds like a topic
for the Contest University.

There are 2 basic techniques for winning the USA and I believe the world
as a Single Op.  1.  Single radio  RUN RUN RUN and move multipliers
extensively, toss in a little strategic S&P when you change bands or
your rate drops during the 48 hours. 2.SO2R: RUN RUN RUN and
simultaneously find stuff on your second radio.
I have worked pretty hard on my SO2R skills apart from using spots, and
at integrating spots into my band searching technique.  I never liked
moving mults and still can't seriously get into it. To me it's a little
like finding a rare mult and working it before you spot it and let the
pile up build up a bit, just too easy.

Merry Christmas, CU all in the Stew (w/o packet)
73 Chas K3WW

DISCLAIMER: the opinions expressed above ...whatever it is KR2Q always
says ...re any contest committees I may serve on.