Re: [CQ-Contest] ZERO points

To: Igor Sokolov <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ZERO points
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:53:24 +0000 (GMT)

We are talking here about CQ WW and its scoring system, if the US and other
large countries were not penalized with zero points, there would be more
activity, again WPX is proof of that. Euros are increasing in activity because
they can work each other - more fun. If they had zero points for every Euro
contact (just count multipliers) would they be working zero pointers?

We are not talking about UA0Q, VK5, ZL (they are still multipliers, double, and
if we can hear them, we will work them) and not about making contest rules
ideal. We are talking about huge discrepancy with US and other POPULOUS
countries and the negative bias that this scoring system creates in a contest
that is considered world's best. Maybe you would have more VK, ZLs active if
they could work each other too, way down there.

Don't mix here IARU and HQ stations here, look at WPX contest. If the national
society gets their subjects to work just their mother HQ, that is a different
problem and doesn't belong here. The whole idea of HQ stations is plain dumb
anyway.

The point is that zero points for own country QSO is making a joke of world top
scores listings, is detrimental to participation from populous countries and
there is no reason to have it that way in today's situation and with prestige
of CQ WW contest.

73 i z prazdnykom Rozhdestva Chrystovogo!

Yuri K3BU