Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting

To: <k7acz@cox.net>, <vo1he@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 08:16:30 -0600
Hi all,

It often occurs to me that we contesters believe too much that a contest is
just for the contesters.

Lots of people operate during contests, not for the sake of entering the
contest but simply to get some BIC time or add to their country, WAS or WPX
totals.

Which is why turning off packet or writing packet out of the rules just
isn't feasible: it's still going to be there to service all the operators
who don't need to obey any contest rules. Folk who cheat the rule about
claiming assisted aren't suddenly going to become honourable, upstanding
citizens when the rules forbid it entirely.

Also, it's possible for SO-non-assisted to make -- but not watch -- spots.
Since the SO-non-assisted isn't in competition with the assisted, it doesn't
affect the non's relative competitiveness.

I also think that the Golden Rule powers some assisted to make spots: don't
watch them if you're not prepared to add to them.

73, kelly
ve4xt