Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules - Getting out of hand

To: "'Richard Thorne'" <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote Site Contesting Rules - Getting out of hand
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:52:37 -0000

To me, it's not the method used to extend the connection from the key to the
rig, it's the distance. Your situation is not unique and illustrates how you
can resolve the issues with zoning laws, restrictive covenents, etc that you
have. Although, being only 7 miles from your actually equipment, you could
go there with relatively no problem, you have chosen to operate your station
remotely. I don't see that as the problem. You're still an N5.

My issue is with the pretenders who want to be rare DX from the security and
comfort of their own homes. Or the guys whose noise level came up to an s2
so they need to find a more quiet location; say, in rural Aruba. Or the guys
who can't get enough points with the stuff in their backyards and want to
improve their scores by spanning the globe with remote stations in order to
take advantage of proximity rather than propagation. To me, it's all about
working the operator and not the radio. If your radio is in Timbuktu and you
are in Texas, you're still an N5 no matter how you slice it.

73 -- Paul VO1HE