Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cut Numbers
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 19:09:16 -0700
Cut numbers are problematic; there are conflicting cut numbers systems
with resulting ambiguities.  Perhaps the most commonly accepted cut
numbers system merely eliminates all extra dashes beyond the first dash.
Another of the systems is also common, but is more obscure as to the
derivation.  Don't trust a cut number system that you see published,
especially on the internet.  The trouble is that there REALLY ARE
MULTIPLE CUT NUMBERS SYSTEMS, so only use cut numbers
where context can resolve the meaning of what you are sending.

If you insist on sending cut numbers in a contest exchange where
context does provide clarity, you run the risk of the receiving station
deleting the contact from his log without announcing this to you.

Examples of clear context:

CQWW contest European station sends ENNUD
ARRL DX Japanese station sends ENNTUT

Examples of unclear context:

ARRL DX I station sends ENNWTT

Subtle differences, but I could not fairly log the I station as 300 W as
the meaning is unclear.

KR6X