Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:34:10 -0800
I applaud Tom, KC1J's prompt response to the question about the TS-480 Remote
Control Panel in a remote contesting venue.  Tnx, Tom!

Paul, VO1HE, wrote:

> If someone on Earth is remotely controlling the Mars Landers in a contest,
> then it should not be valid. If it is under Martian control, then the
> operator should be in the same quadrant.

That's pretty funny, and a well crafted Word Picture for *your* position in
this matter :-)

It dawned on me last night...

It could be very enlightening to put one extra field on the 3830 submittal
forms after the current SO2R checkbox:

 Check here if SO2R    Check here if the station was operated by remote control

I emailed Bruce asking him to consider doing this.

An interesting scenario:

A Contester lives in (US) State A, Grid X, but only 700m from the border with
(US) State B, Grid Y.  His current QTH is up against the back of a big
hill/mountain.

If the Contester wants to improve his signal by putting a remote station on top
of the hill which is only 50 feet "across the border" into the neighboring
State & Grid, should he be penalized for not being in the same State & Grid as
his home QTH where he will be controlling the station via remote software?  I
don't think so.  The "Station", of course, would be consider to be in State B &
Grid Y.

73...

Rick, K6VVA