Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: <vo1he@rac.ca>, "'Russell Hill'" <rustyhill@earthlink.net>,"'Joe Subich, W4TV'" <w4tv@subich.com>,"'Eric Hilding'" <dx35@hilding.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:03:46 -0600
> It occurs to me that requiring the remote operator to be in the same
> multiplier entity might have unexpected ramifications.  Would this
> mean that in a VHF/UHF conttest the remote op would have to be in the
> same grid square?  If counties are the multiplier does he have to be
> in the same county?  For county hunters, would a contact be invalid if
> the remote op were in the next county?  What about the case where a
> grid boundary cuts through a county-- the usual case, in other words?
> Would the remote station be forced to be built within the portion of
> the resident county which is also within the same grid so as to cover
> all possible cases?
> How about
> IOTA?  Has to be on the same island?  (I don't know why, but someone
> might want to and figure out how to put a remote station on Matagorda
> Island off the Texas coast.)
>

>>>Yes, you have it right. The operator SHOULD be in the same entity as he
is representing in whatever contest his in. For practical purposes, if this
is not >>>the case for reasons of necessity, then some leeway can be given.
If it is not the case out of desire, then it shouldn't be valid.

Why?  We are talking about a remote station.  What difference does it make
if I am operating my station from Montana or the MOON?  The station is
located in Montana.  All transmitting and receiving is done in Montana.  The
received signal is just being passed via some medium to where I am located.
The station owner that has built a station for remote operation has expended
a bunch of money to do this.  Now you want to require that he jump on an
airplane and fly to Aruba for every contest just so that he is actually on
the island?

This is another situation that would be almost impossible to police.