Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R REMOTE CONTESTING
From: Richard Thorne <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:56:25 -0500
Joe, W4TV, this note is not directed towards you, but you have, as well
as a few others have struck a cord with me, ie the operator should be in
the 500m circle.

OK folks, as one who has put a lot of time and effort into building a
reliable remote station for dxing and contesting, I'm starting to take
this personal.  Some of you are leaning towards rule changes that would
exclude my operating, not gonna happen on my watch.

I haven't heard one single argument why I shouldn't operate remote be it
7 miles up the road from my home, like I currently do, or a station in
Italy, which can easily be done.  Sounds more like, if I can't put up a
decent antenna and be competitive, either can you.

If the transmitter and receiver and antennas are within a 500m circle,
they're in a 500m circle. Period.  Don't give me the lame "but your not
there" stuff.    I guarantee you I've put just as much work, if not
more, in my station than you have in yours, due to the technological
hurdles I have had to jump.

This lame argument against remote operations,  ranks right up there with
the past arguments that only station owners should operate their own
stations and not have guest ops, because the guest op doesn't have a
station.

And Joe, don't take this personal, even though I am, but if I have to be
there, I guess theres no sense in having my Microham band decoder in
line for auto antenna switching.  Heck since I'd be in front of the
radio I could make the simple arm movement to manually change my old
heath kit antenna switch ;-) .  Or there would be no sense in having my
Idiom press rs-232 rotor control, I'd be there to turn the rotor.

So in summary, if some one can put a remote station on Aruba and operate
it from home in the USA, more power to them.

And for the record I'm not working you the person, I'm working your
transmitter location for points, a multiplier or a DXCC entity.  I could
careless where your sitting.

Flame suite on, but you best have yours on too.

Rich - N5ZC