[CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?

To: CQ-Contest eMail Remailer <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 10:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
It is time for me to install a more permanent HF antenna system to make more
routine HF contest operation possible.  I wish to install a vertical to reduce
complexity.

I have no room for radials so I'm looking to install either (1) a 1/2 wave (no
radials needed) or (2) 1/4 wave trap vertical (40-10 meter) at the top of a 30'
Aluminum tower...using only the tower itself as a counterpoise.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with this sort of setup that they
care to pass along?  Any/all insights specific to this thought would be
appreciated.  Thank you!

Ev, W2EV