Re: [CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 10:25:44 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 10:14:46 -0700 (PDT), Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>It is time for me to install a more permanent HF antenna system to make more
>routine HF contest operation possible.  I wish to install a vertical to reduce
>complexity.

Think carefully about what contests you are going to operate with your
setup. A vertical, properly installed, will be a low angle radiator
and great for DX contests, but not so great for more local contests
like Sweepstakes and the state QSO parties. For those, a horizontal
dipole would be better, even if you have to load it to reduce length.

Best of all would be to have both and be able to switch between them.

Just something to consider.

Bill W6WRT