Re: [CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Vertical w/Tower Counterpoise?
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:31:53 -0000
Can we separate myth, from magic, from fact. A full-sized vertical, for a
given, band will have a lower angle of radiation than a full-sized dipole,
for the same band, when the dipole is at @50ft. Trap verticals, shortened
verticals, have a high angle component. I have made side-by-side
comparisons, over many many months. On 40 meter my full-sized 33ft vertical
is a DX killer, the full-sized dipole is a 1000 mile killer, the DX77, 1/2
wave vertical,  @15ft was always somewhere in between. On the upper bands
the DX77 showed a very noticeable high angle component. In 2004 I got a
clean sweep in SSCW using the DX77 as my only antenna for 20-15-10. Someone
made an NEC plot for the DX77 and I asked him to be sure he wasn't modeling
a very high(100ft high) dipole.
Again my -2cents worth
73

MAL