Re: [CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:11:39 -0400
K8DD writes:

> In ARRL contests there is a second option to the circle.
> According to http://www.arrl.org/contests/cc.html Unlimited and Medium
> clubs have the choice of the circle or section.  " All stations and
> all operators must reside within the club territory, which is either
> defined by a 175-mile (282-kilometer) radius from a designated area or
> one ARRL section."    Not real hard to understand what that means.

That still penalizes clubs where a given state is chopped into
multiple sections (e.g., the Florida Contest Group).

The "smart" way to resolve the geographical limits for a club is
to use a given number of grid squares (6 character).  14 or 15
squares would be about the same geographical area as the current
175 mile (ARRL) limit and would be significantly easier to administer.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV