Re: [CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks

To: "'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Circle Jerks
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:57:14 -0400
W6WRT writes:

> Isn't the whole idea of a geographic area to include people
> who actually come to the club meetings on a regular basis and
> to exclude "ringers" who are club members in name only,
> operating from far away just to help run up the score?

If that's the case re-establish an "in person" meeting requirement.

FCG has a significant number of members in the Panhandle who
regularly make a 400 plus mile round trip to attend in person
meetings in Tampa, Orlando, etc.  Even though they attend in
person meetings, they still can't participate with the club in
any of the  ARRL contests and many of the CQ contests because
a 175 mile radius circle simply will not accommodate the state
of Florida from Homestead to Pensacola - even though at least
a third of the 96,211 square miles of the circle are ocean.

You can bet if the "circle" did not cover Boston to Albany
the rules would have been changed years ago.  However, I do
not know of another case (other than TCG which provided the
impetus for the "one section" rule in ARRL contests) where
there is a single contest club covering an entire state and
the state is too long/wide to be completely circumscribed
by a 175 mile circle.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV