Re: [CQ-Contest] Club Circle Standardization was: Circle Jerks

To: "'Pete Smith'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Club Circle Standardization was: Circle Jerks
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:17:33 -0400
> This is not inherently a bad idea at all - since everyone
> knows (or can find out) their 4-character grid square.  I
> think you would probably need some sort of anti-gerrymandering
> provision, to prevent one club from defining the entire Northeast
> megalopolis as its area, or Seattle to Los Angeles.

A "14 grid" limit would prevent even a "one grid wide" area
extending from Seattle to Los Angeles.  I don't think it is
possible to cover the combined area of NCCC and SCCC (all of
California) or create a "super club" encompassing everything
from northern New England (ME, VT, NH) through Central Virginia.

Still, even with a "two grid wide/two grid high" limitation
a 14 grid limit works for a lot of other clubs in "geographically
challenged" areas.  It allows all of FCG to participate as a
single club, it has application to TCG/KCG and NCCC/MRCC,
probably fixes the PVRC problem, allows SMC the opportunity to
pick up the more widely spaced concentration of activity.

An alternate to a pure "14 grid" standard would be up to "n"
contiguous grids with a maximum distance of 600 miles (1000 km).
This would resolve the "bigger grids closer to the equator"
issue.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV