Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "endorses" cut numbers

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL "endorses" cut numbers
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 23:20:27 -0400
I would like to remind everyone that "using" cut numbers is not the same
thing as "logging" cut numbers.

I check the logs for the ARRL 10M contest, where DX stations send RST &
serial numbers for their exchange.  If the station sends you a number
with cut digits, it is *your* responsibility to turn those into numeric
digits in your log.  QSO numbers containing alphabetic digits will be
scored as non-valid (no penalties, but you lose the QSO).  This
direction was concurred to by the ARRL Contest Department.

I'm sure someone will claim "but I just copied what was sent".  No
matter - the rules say a QSO *number* must be received and logged, so it
is the entrant's responsibility to make the translation, not the log
checkers.  The entrant is the person present when the QSO is made; if
there is any doubt as to what the number is, they are the only ones who
can ask for a fill and remove all doubt.

Again, it's not my intent to deter the use of cut numbers (although I
personally will not), but I want to make it clear that the log (at least
for ARRL 10M) must show actual numbers for the QSO to be valid.

Dave/K8CC